Thursday, December 11, 2008

Old Stranger

(blue headband Target, dad's old work glasses, ring Soompi, scarf & diamond necklace Mom, gray tank Target, black top Forever 21, cardigan & jeans H&M, t-strap flats Hong Kong)

Earlier in the day, upon my walking to work ... I was at an intersection waiting for the light to allow me to walk across, when suddenly a man in an automated wheelchair stopped next to mine. However, he didn't stop in time, so he was in proximity of getting hit by a car. As he tried to pull it back with his controller, it did not work, so he had to slowly get out of his wheelchair and try to fix it. I stood there paralyzed in shock, not knowing what to do. By then, his legs would not hold his body up and he fell to the ground and he was still attempting to fix his wheelchair. A part of it had fallen off, and the most I could do was pick that piece up and hand it back to him. He said, "Thank you, you're very kind." I said, "You're welcome, we can cross now." My heart suddenly took a hard punch, because I felt so helpless, I didn't know how to fix his wheelchair... I didn't know whether or not I should pull him back or if would work or what. He even struggled to lift himself up by using his wheelchair as support, when I could have gave him my hand. I'm pretty sure every person in their cars who saw what was happening was thinking how stupid that girl must've been just standing there and watching as a bystander and not bothering to give a helping hand.

No comments: